Merry (shall I say it?) Christmas

Merry Christmas!

There I said it! I didn't need to evaluate the economic impact of "Merry Christmas" over any other greeting. I meant it and it felt good!

Am I willing to "go to the mattresses" and say it no matter the audience? No, most likely not. I have friends of other religious persuasions and feel it is more prudent to be respectful of that. If they wish me "Happy Hanukkah" or Kwanzaa greeting, I respond in kind and then offer "Merry Christmas." That's received well and usually reciprocated.

However, I do feel it is appropriate to use Merry Christmas as a greeting or goodbye to my non-Christian friends.

Why?
1. It is appropriate for the season. They are most likely using it also.
2. I have been asked, "What's so merry about it?" A great opening to find out care needs, faith issues, etc.
3. It's God's message of peace and goodwill to all.
4. It's a short, safe statement of how I feel about the Jesus, the reason for this season.

Will I shop at stores that don't say it? Probably. You never know when an opening might arise. Will I say it to the clerks? Y'betcha.

In other words, "Merry Christmas" is a statement of faith. A faith I cannot deny.

May you find the peace that God proclaimed on that hillside so long ago. A message of peace and reconciliation for all time and peoples.

Merry Christmas! There I said it again.

Comments

jason folkerts said…
Unbelievable! You're back!
Am I partly responsible for bringing you out of dormancy?

Popular Posts